February 4, 2016
Notice to School Communities
Regarding the Implementation of a New Delayed Opening of Schools Phase
of the Strait Regional School Board’s Class Cancellation Procedures
As of Monday, February 8, 2016, a new Delayed Opening of Schools Phase will be added to the Strait Regional School Board’s School Cancellation Procedures.
On days where conditions are such that it is not safe to open a school or schools at the regularly scheduled time, however, it is predicted that conditions will improve, a “two (2)-hour delayed opening may be announced”. Delayed openings may be considered when an extreme weather event has concluded but snow clearing or other operations require additional time. It may also be considered where physical plant or utility (e.g., power, water) issues are being addressed but additional time is required to prepare the facility for opening.
The following conditions will apply:
- School opening will be delayed two (2) hours. If the opening time is normally 8:30 a.m., the delayed opening will be 10:30 a.m.
- School bus pick up times will be delayed two (2) hours. If a regular bus pick up time is 7:30 a.m., the delayed pick up time will be 9:30 a.m.
- Each school will alter morning schedules to best address their time tables.
- Lunch times will not change.
- Afternoon class schedules will remain the same.
- Dismissal time will not change.
- When a system-wide delayed opening due to weather is announced, professional development scheduled for that day will be cancelled.
The decision for a delayed opening will occur before 6:30 a.m. and state “school opening and bus pick up times will be delayed by two (2) hours”. The announcement may apply to a school, group of schools or all schools.
The complete School Cancellation Procedures document is available in the Document Depot section of the School Board website at http://srsb.ca/documentdepot.
If you have any questions or require clarification, please contact the Operations Department at 902-747-3647.